Monday, July 24, 2006

The Cradle of the Revolution

Last night, I appeared on the Mel and Joey show on the Kapuso network to talk about "Pamana." It wasn't about the usual pamana of properties or good looks. It was about the various barangays that Quezon City inherited from Caloocan. It is not commonly known that most of what is now Quezon City was carved out of Caloocan by virtue of two laws passed in 1939 and 1949.

Now, how come I know about these things? Why all of sudden have I become knowledgeable about Caloocan history. For one, I'm not even Tagalog. I'm a red hot Bikolano and proud of it.

Well, I guess its all because of my fascination with the Philippine Revolution and the Philippine-American War. I have long been enamored with places, people, and events that played a role in the building of the Filipino nation. As a history buff, places like Malolos, Kawit, Alapan, Cabanatuan, Bayambang, Tirad Pass, and of course Caloocan fascinate me to no end.

As a matter of fact, my interest in Caloocan inspired me to write a book (nearing completion) about Caloocan's role in the Revolutionary period. Through the help of Mayor Recom Echiverri and the support of my wife, Lanie, I am almost finished writing "Caloocan: Cradle of the Revolution" which I hope makes a contribution to the writing of our history.

Once the book leaves the press, you will be the first to know :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome to the blogosphere, jonathan. and:keep it up!

10:23 PM  
Blogger taga ilog said...

Napanood ko rin ang sinasabi mo na show nina Mel and Joey.

Pero nagtataka pa rin ako sa kasaysayan ng Novaliches?Ito ba talaga ay sa Quezon City o Caloocan?

Mayroon bang posibilidad na mailathala mo sa iyong libro ang pagkakaroon ng kabanata patungkol sa Kalookan del Norte at Kaloocan Sur?

How about the idea of twin city within a city??? ;)
Or "C-K" City , not the famous signature but rather the C as in Caloocan and the latter as Kaloocan Sur.

good luck!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home